Saturday, August 26, 2017

*ARTICLE* Meet American Girl's First Hawaiian Doll, and the Grandma Who Inspired Her


It was this book, stumbled upon by a historical researcher for American Girl, that caused the company to approach Nicholson about telling her story and joining the advisory panel for Nanea.
"Because I went through the bombing and lived in the middle of the harbor and went through all of it at about the same age as Nanea, they asked me to be an advisor and I was thrilled," said Nicholson, who lived with her mother and father, 2-year-old brother, and a dog named "Hula Girl" on the island of Oahu at the time of the attack. 

Continue reading..... 
Link: Madelon

4 comments:

  1. Thank you once again Madelon. You find the most interesting articles.
    Two of the Nanae books were written by Kirby Larson. I looked up some of her other books and found two others about the attack on Pearl Harbor. They are; "Dear America, The Fences Between Us" and the second is "Dash". I recommend these books. When I first heard about a new Be forever doll and book about the Attack on Pearl Harbor, I was hoping the new AG doll and books would be about a Japanese American Girl that had to be sent to an internment camp. This was not the case, but these two books are about just that. They give you some idea of what it was like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This very good information. This is why I purchase their products. Knowlege is important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nanea is not "American Girl´s first Hawaiian doll", though. That honor goes to Kanani.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bend the First Hawaiian Doll to mean First Hawaiian Historical Doll.

    Thank you for sharing the details.
    ~Xyra

    ReplyDelete