Saturday, October 25, 2014

Tips for Starting a Doll Collection

Recently I was asked for tips on starting a doll collection or picking one back up. First let me say I feel honored to be asked my opinion regarding this topic.


I have always loved dolls and even made a few of my own.

There are several kinds of dolls with various styles, in many sizes and made with different materials. Not all doll collections need to be expensive. Often time a child's first doll is a home made doll or hand me down. Its not only until a parent may feel the child is responsible that they get a store bought doll. With me, I had access to MANY dolls because my maternal grandma collected all kinds of dolls. 

Follow your heart not the crowd. 
Different doll categories include:
  • Rag/cloth
  • Hard plastic
  • Bisque - unglazed porcelain
  • China - glazed porcelain
  • Ceramic
  • Vinyl/PVC
  • Wood
  • Paper
  • Collector series
  • Antique
  • Baby doll
  • Pop culture
  • Fairytale
  • Fashion
  • Battery operated/talking/walking
  • BJD
  • OOAK sculpted art dolls
  • Life size
  • Mini/micro mini
 To name a few...whichever category appeals to you - research it. Get familiar with the history of the doll, it's origin, manufacturer and value.

Go slow. Don't rush to buy a lot of items at once. First become familiar with your doll, allow time to bond and you'll soon discover which pieces from the collection you wish to add.

Don't feel as if there is a special set "number". Some collectors feel overwhelmed with eight dolls others enjoy 20+. My grandma had a room full 100+ of which 90% were rescues. 

Don't feel pressured about names/brands. If you enjoy collecting iconic brands, highly collectible or popular dolls that's great! If you enjoy rescuing no names or hand me downs, sewing, felting, carving and creating your own - wonderful! The key is to enjoy your dolls.

Lastly, don't ever apologize or feel embarrassed for collecting dolls. People collect various things (stamps, cars, trading cards, hand bags). You're unique and one-of-a-kind so be your self!

No comments:

Post a Comment