Friday, September 18, 2020

*DISCUSSION* American Girl Courtney Moore 1986 Key Collection Pieces



1986 was the year for arena rock with bands like DokkenWhitesnake, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Tesla and Ratt.


Video games were picking up in popularity around 1981 and took off in 1986. All of the arcades were busy and so was miniature golf and roller skating rinks.


The walkman was GREAT for listening to your favorite cassettes at school or the beach. In high school we would trade cassettes over the weekend. MTV was VERY popular where you could catch all of your favorite bands and their latest videos.


 So this is very appropriate since Pleasant Company catalogs were first mailed to homes in 1986. I remember being in 11th grade and receiving a catalog quarterly. (Took me 27 years later to buy my first AG doll.)

Courtney doesn’t consider herself a “doll girl,” but when she learns about Molly, who also misses her dad, she feels a connection. She’s totally surprised when her dad gives her this Molly doll for Christmas in 1986—making her one of the first to have a doll from the brand-new Pleasant Company. Set includes:
  • A mini Molly™ doll wearing a sweater, skirt, glasses, shoes, socks, bloomers, and two hair bows
  • A classic Pleasant Company® mini doll box where Molly can be stored
  • A Meet Molly mini book that tells the character’s story
  • A mini version of the very first Pleasant Company® catalogue where Courtney has circled all the things she wants for Christmas

 WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE ITEMS FROM COURTNEY'S COLLECTION??

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get Courtney, and had to order Molly. I have seen comments, of people guessing that Molly will have a plastic body. I won't be disappointed if that is the case, since I had purchased a soft body mini Molly when they were being phased out. I will just switch the dolls. But what I'd love is a soft body Molly with the white cloth body. I realize that may be more of a fantasy. My daughters are excited for the accessories, since it is a time period that I grew up in. Thanks for sharing your pictures from the 80s. Really miss the music, not that there aren't good songs now. My daughters say that today's music all sounds the same. We will sit and watch the music videos that played on MTV. I was lucky that our family had 2 TVs, so I could watch MTV and dance around, and my parents could watch something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome! I really hope the girls LOVE 80s music and films. We just watched Back to the Future 2 and it's just as good as when it was released. Enjoy Courtney!!

      Delete