Saturday, June 15, 2019

*Interview* Camille's Doll Spa


 Camille specializes in doll repair and unique outfits for American Girl dolls, sourced from environmentally responsible fabrics. Here's her story.

I learned to repair dolls I bought at garage sales for my young daughters. Their hair was always a mess, and they often had other problems. I thought it was better to start with a nice toy than a broken one, because my children would value and take better care of a nice toy. Then my friends started bringing me dolls with problem hair, stains, broken limbs etc. As I conquered these challenges, I realized I should offer my services to others as well. I hope that my doll repair services enable people to salvage quality dolls with a few issues and restore them for another generation to love.



I've been sewing doll clothes since I got my first Samantha doll in the late 80s, and Pleasant Company published patterns for the original historical dolls. First I sewed all the patterns and combined them in different ways, and then I started designing my own doll outfits. I learned my sewing skills from my mom and perfected them with my 4-H projects. (In fact, I am still learning new things all the time.) Now that I have two little girls of my own who are also into dolls, I enjoy making doll outfits for them. I'm bringing the best of those designs to this shop. They are all limited edition or one of a kind, with material sourced from thrifted and recycled clothing. Since the material has usually been washed already, it has a unique softness and will not transfer dye to the doll's skin. (Just to be extra careful, I always pre-wash dark colored fabric in hot water, vinegar and detergent.) I look for high-quality fiber content (wool, silk, cashmere, lightweight and performance stretch knits such as cannot be found in fabric shops), and garments with an authentic worn distressed character. You will also find knits in my shop that have been deconstructed from sweaters and stockings with interesting patterns and quality fiber content. I love to repurpose and reinvent quality used items, so it's not surprising that I also restore American Girl dolls.


Instagram camilles doll spa 

 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, LADL, for the interview. It is always nice to have other options for doll restoration, especially when 1. the doll is PC, and 2. your doll may not be an AG doll. For example, we found a Madame Alexander doll at Goodwill with Marie Grace's summer dress. I've always wanted that dress, but didn't want to pay the high price. The doll and dress were in my price range. My daughter loves the MA doll, and we fixed her up, but there aren't many videos for doll restoration on MA dolls, like there are for AG dolls, specifically repairing wobbly legs. Looking at Camille's instgram, I see a doll getting rerooted hair. My daughter has rerooted a Barbie, maybe if we figure out how to take the head off the MA doll, she would reroot her hair. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Keep up the good work Camille!

    ReplyDelete