Pioneers washed their clothes in a huge bucket and scrubbed them clean using a washboard. Then they hung them on the line to dry in the sunlight. If it stormed you would have to run to get your wash before it got wet again.
- Thick cardboard 3" x 5" -OR- 4" x 6"
- Popsicle sticks
- Craft glue or hot glue
- Trim Popsicle sticks 3"- 4" long, the width of your cardboard.
- Glue a Popsicle stick 1-inch from the end of the cardboard.
- Continue gluing Popsicle sticks down board, leave a small space between them.
- Brush a thin layer of craft glue onto your cardboard and cover each Popsicle stick.
- Cover the top of your wash board in foil and smooth it into the grooves of each Popsicle stick. Careful not to rip the foil. Let dry.
- Glue large Popsicle sticks along the sides and top to frame your washboard.
*Note this is a prop - do not get washboard wet or submerge in water.