Saturday, August 31, 2013

Doll Collection Storage Ideas

OK I have struggled with this just as much as you have!
 WHERE do I put everything??

Prior to downsizing, I cleaned out two under utilized closets to store nine dolls with their collection. (My secret doll house) It has worked beautifully for me! I love it.


There are however not enough shelves for all of my dolls, even after the downsize, I had to rearrange the spare bedroom. I took all of the over sized heavy pieces of furniture OUT! Good bye - to the curb - "FREE" and they were gone within hours. Whew!

Next I moved the bed to the smallest wall by the door. I flanked both sides of the window in bookcases storing eight dolls and my doll clothes out of the sunlight. I was going for a more "built in" look even though these bookcases are free standing.








 Donated the curtains - whoosh! Just like that! Didn't need all of the heavy draping and tripping on fabric. Added a dresser under the window for a doll house.

You may not be as extreme as I am, just hauling stuff to the curb and ripping things off windows and walls. Please understand this room was a catch all where mismatched extras went that we didn't really need anyway.

Before attempting a doll collection storage system consider the space - is it dark, dry and cool? Avoid humidity like laundry rooms or basements. Heat rises so avoid attics. Our home has central AC/heat and is climate controlled. Keep both dolls and clothing out of direct sunlight to prevent fading. 


Here are some ideas to pull from my experience:
  • Use closet space - coat closets, linen closets
  • Put bookcases next to windows (keep dolls out of sunlight)
  • Can't build out - build up with rows of shelving
  • Under bed storage - clear plastic bins
  • Collapsible bins (Dollar Tree) hidden on upper closet shelves
  • Corners are under utilized - use corner cabinets or shelves
  • Vertical canvas shoe organizers hung inside closets  hold collapsible bins (hang 3 per coat closet)
  • Doll trunks are romantic for doll, clothes + shoes - Springfield
  • Rubbermaid stack-able storage drawers hold shoes, clothes and hats
  • Hang or fold clothes - store AG boxes under bed or in large tubs in garage.

4 comments:

  1. Rhonda! You've been honored: dottiedotcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWZERS!! Thank you so very much. I appreciate this, really!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I really do love your blog.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for all these great tips. A lot of them I wouldn't have thought of on my own. This is great for someone with a smaller space.

    ReplyDelete