Saturday, July 22, 2017

*TAMMY'S TRAVELS* Day Six - Alaska

 Today Joanna took me to see the Iditarod Trail Headquarters in Wasilla, Alaska!

The Iditarod is one of the most famous sled dog races in the whole world and people come from all over to the Headquarters to sign up for the race! 

The trail itself has been used for hundreds of years by native people and more recently by miners coming to Alaska. Perhaps the most famous of all races was the 1925 Serum run to Nome! This is the race that involved the Diptheria outbreak and Balto! 


Joanna then was sitting me next to the statue of Balto and a nice gentleman offered to take a picture of the two of us! I was super excited to get to sit next to the statue! 




After that Joanna took me to see Andy! He was a sled dog that won a race in the 1970s! I was super excited to get to see him too!
And finally I got to sit in a real sled that was used for the races! How cool was that!

I cannot wait to show everyone my next adventure in Hatchers Pass Alaska!

3 comments:

  1. I'm coming in kind of late to the "Travels with Tammy" series, but I think it's great! Thanks for sharing the neat pictures of interesting places in Alaska! And I hope someone keeps this nice blog going after Rhonda moves on to other things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! Keep posting, Tammy. Loving your Alaska trip.

    ReplyDelete